25 July 2012

CAPT Carroll LeFon, USN (Ret) – Preliminary Information

In an earlier post I told you I would update you when there was something to report on CAPT LeFon’s accident. As of right now, the NTSB investigation is still ongoing and we do not have an indication of when the final report will be released, but given the uncertain timeline (these investigations take time), I wanted to follow-up with you and post what we know as of right now and leave you with the link to the investigation so you can find the final report once it’s released. If the final report is released over the next month I’ll be sure to post an update here to let everyone know.
You can access the below information, and the final report once it’s released, by following this link.
All the best, JCHjr

NTSB Identification: DCA12PA049
Nonscheduled 14 CFR Public Use
Accident occurred Tuesday, March 06, 2012 in Fallon, NV
Aircraft: ISRAEL AIRCRAFT INDUSTRIES F21-C2, registration: N404AX
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On March 6, 2012 at 0914 Pacific Standard Time, an Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI) Kfir F-21C2 single-seat turbojet fighter type aircraft, registration N404AX, operated by Airborne Tactical Advantage Company (ATAC) under contract to Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) as a civil public aircraft operation, crashed upon landing at Naval Air Station Fallon, Fallon, Nevada. The sole occupant pilot aboard was killed, and the airplane was substantially damaged by impact forces and fire. The flight had departed Fallon at 0752 the same day, and attempted to return following an adversary training mission. The pilot initiated two Ground Control Approach (GCA) radar approaches to Fallon and then attempted to divert to Reno but was unable to land there as the field was reporting below minimum weather conditions. The pilot then turned back toward Fallon and stated to air traffic controllers that he was in a critical fuel state. The pilot descended and maneuvered first toward runway 31, then toward runway 13. The airplane struck the ground in an open field in the northwest corner of the airport property and impacted a concrete building on the field. Weather at the time of the accident was reported as snowing with northerly winds of 23 knots gusting to 34 knots, and visibility between one-half and one and one-half miles.


UltimaRatioRegis said...

ADM Harvey,

Thanks for posting the prelim. Lex will be missed. Seems he had a lot stacked against him that morning.

M Stanovich

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

MaryR said...

ADM Harvey,

Thank you for following up. Lex is not to be forgotten. It is so good that the Old Salt remembers this.

BZ Sir,