I’ve received numerous comments on this blog about potential mismanagement of Navy projects and funds. My staff has been gathering the facts on the issues identified and will determine whether an official investigation is warranted. In the meantime, I want to take a moment to discuss the proper process for reporting such issues.
First, a blog is not the proper forum to file complaints of this nature. While I do want to know about potential issues within my command and across the Fleet, it’s also very important that we follow the proper procedures to report these matters. Serious allegations or complaints of this nature – fraud, waste, abuse and the mismanagement of projects and funds – must be properly filed so the right people can look into the matter.
I encourage complainants to first attempt to resolve their issue using the chain of command, if at all possible. For matters that cannot be resolved using the chain of command, the DOD Inspector General (IG) manages a hotline program through which complaints may be submitted by email, letter, fax, or telephone, either confidentially or anonymously. Most echelon 3 commands have an IG assigned, under the supervision of the Fleet Forces Inspector General and should be your first point of contact. If an IG is not assigned to your command, the reporting chain is direct to the Fleet Forces IG.
The IG is responsible for investigating allegations that include the following issues:
- Abuse of Title or Position
- Bribes/Kickbacks/Acceptance of Gratuities
- Conflicts of Interest
- Ethics Violations
- False Official Statements/Claims
- Gifts (Improper receipt or giving)
- Improper Referral for Mental Health Evaluations
- Mismanagement/Organization Oversight (Significant Cases)
- Misuse of Official Time, Gov’t Property, Position and Public Office
- Political Activities
- Purchase Card Abuse
- Reprisal (Military Whistleblower Protection)
- Safety/Public Health (Substantial/Specific)
- Systemic Problems
- Time and Attendance (Significant Violations)
- Travel Card Abuse
- Travel Fraud (TDY and TAD)
- Waste (Gross)
All the best, JCHjr